Dear Parents and Guardians,
It is hard to believe that the end of the school year is upon us. I have a few notes to share with you as we move into the summer months.
1. The 2016-17 budget vote is tomorrow, Tuesday, June 14. Last year, less than 9% of all registered voters in Cumberland and North Yarmouth went to the polls. Please take a couple of minutes to vote on Tuesday.
2. As a reminder, please keep in mind that school start times will be later next school year. Students in grades K-5 will attend school from 8:45 AM-3:15 PM. Students in grades 9-12 will attend school from 8:00 AM-2:30 PM and grades 6-8 will attend from 8:00 AM-2:33 PM.
3. Due to an enrollment increase at Mabel I. Wilson School, this summer we will be completing some minor renovations to help alleviate space constraints in the school. These renovations include re-purposing space for two additional classrooms and creating more small group space. In addition, the Board authorized an energy project to be completed over the next year that will help to better regulate heating and cooling conditions at the school in order to keep our students and staff more comfortable.
4. This summer, a building committee will be working to develop a concept design for a potential Performing Arts Center (PAC). This design will be submitted to the Board of Directors for review in September. The Board then will have the option of moving the design to a referendum with a target date of Election Day in November 2016.
5. This month marks the end of the first year of the district's Strategic Plan. An incredible amount of work has been completed over the year on 23 different strategic action steps. Work will continue over the next two years as we move closer to fulfilling the vision for our district that the plan directs.
5. I would like to thank Board of Directors departing members Virginia Dwyer and Bethany Hanley for their dedicated service to the community over the last several years. Thank you also to student Board member Kevin Cass for his two years on the Board. Thank you!
6. My congrats to the 174 graduates from the Class of 2016. As they leave our district, we welcome a new group of kindergarten students, the incoming Class of 2029.
My very best for an enjoyable summer! See you back on August 31, the first student day for grades 1-12.
Superintendent of Schools
School Administrative District #51
Cumberland-North Yarmouth, Maine
Office: (207) 829-4800
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SuperMSAD51
Read my Blog: http://msad51superintendent.blogspot.com/
Engage. Empower. Inspire.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individuals named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system. if you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.